The last few months have just been crazy health-wise. I’ve had colds, flus, respiratory infections, sore throats and the likes in greater concentration than I can recall ever in my life. I know it’s not unusual to be more susceptible to foreign germs and viruses when you move to a different country, because your immune system is not used to them, but this is really getting too much. Also, I acknowledge that I wasn’t taking such good care of myself the first few months here (eating bad food, not wearing a warm enough coat, getting my feet wet all the time), but I’ve really made an effort to turn that around from the beginning of January. I’m taking my vitamins regularly, I’ve improved my diet, I’m always bundled up and I have started exercizing for real. So I really thought the sick days were over. But oh boy was I proven wrong last night, when I crashed into bed with a 38,4 celsius fever. Not fun, I can tell you. Well, after a miserable night and a pretty bad morning, my fever is now down for a little while, so I’ll take the opportunity to do at least something productive. I’ve promised you a proper post on Karla’s pullover.
It’s actually kind of appropriate, since most of it was knit up during other periods of sickness, when I was too brain-dead to read or do any work, but mindless (mostly) stockinette was just right to keep me from dying of boredom.
I ran into a problem towards the end of the project – the yarn I bought was a hand-dyed sock yarn, and I bought two 100g skeins just to be sure I’d have enough. I ran out of yarn just as I was starting the second sleeve. Now, I had taken great care at the store to find two skeins with identical colors, but when I knit up the second sleeve it became very obvious that all that effort did not result in anything. The second sleeve was just slightly different in colors from the rest of the sweater, enough for it to be noticeable but not enough for it to look like a cool feature of the sweater. I pondered on what to do for a while. I considered leaving it that way but it just wouldn’t have felt right. I finally decided: I would rip the first sleeve and make two short sleeves from that yarn instead of one long one. That way everything would be the same color. And I have to tell you – I think the pullover looks even cuter with short sleeves!
The pullover is embelished with very simple and adorable cables. They are so easy to make and they just add that extra bit of interesting to it.
The designer also took great care to ensure plenty of stretchiness around the neck area – we all know how difficult it can be to get a pullover over a little person’s head, and how much they hate the process. Note how the single rib neckline ensures stretchiness…
…while also achieving a design parallelism with the single rib waist.
So, in the end, while not being a fan of multi-colored yarn, while disliking knitting back and forth rather than in the round, while hating seaming – I really really like the final result. :)
Ravelled here: fridica’s Dewey